FAST and Furious 7 has raced to the top of the Australian box office, posting the fifth-best opening weekend ever.
THE latest instalment of the popular action franchise raked in a whopping $14.6 million in cinemas over the weekend, which was unsurprising given its global success.
Starring Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock, Fast and Furious 7 made $187.9 million during its opening weekend in the US.
Cinderella fell to second spot at the Australian box office, managing $3.2 million, which was around $1 million less than last weekend’s takings, according to the Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia.
Animation Home climbed one place to third ($1.9 million), while SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Out Of Water jumped from eighth to fourth ($1.3 million).
TOP 10 FILMS FOR THE WEEKEND OF APRIL 2-5:
- Fast and Furious 7 (Universal) – $14.6 million
- Cinderella (Disney) – $3.2 million
- Home (Fox) – $1.9 million
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Out Of Water (Paramount) – $1.3 million
- Insurgent (Entertainment One) – $1.2 million
- Get Hard (Warner Bros) – $1.0 million
- The Duff (Roadshow) – $831,175
- Shaun The Sheep (Studiocanal) – $800,293
- The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox) – $402,929
- Focus (Warner Bros) – $222,629