¾ cup uncooked quinoa, 1 head cauliflower (about 6 cups florets), 3-4 tablespoons oil, divided, a few generous shakes of spicy seasoning - cumin, chili powder, cayenne, etc., ½ teaspoon garlic salt OR just a minced garlic clove or two, ¾ cup breadcrumbs or ground almonds, ¾ cup shredded Pepperjack cheese, 3 eggs, 1½ teaspoon salt, a few good squeezes of lime juice, ½ cup chopped cilantro, ½ cup chopped purple cabbage, magic green sauce, chipotle mayo, buns (may I recommend jalapeño cheddar?)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook the quinoa according to package directions but only using 1 cup broth of water to keep it from getting too heavy.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets, transfer to a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with spices to taste. Roast for 20-30 minutes. Let cool. Pulse through a food processor to form small pieces that stick together (see picture). We don’t want PUREE here, but we do want enough mushiness to help it all stick together.
- Combine the cooked, pulsed cauliflower with the quinoa, garlic salt, breadcrumbs, Pepperjack cheese, eggs, salt, and another teaspoon or two of spicy seasoning (cayenne will make it hot-spicy, so just add a few shakes of that one). Form 10 patties.
- In an oiled or nonstick pan over medium heat, cook the burgers until golden brown on each side, flipping very carefully to avoid breaking. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Toss the lime juice, cilantro, cabbage, and a quick stream of oil together. Season with salt.
- Arrange the burgers with: magic green sauce, the cauliflower burger, the slaw, and the chipotle mayo on top.